Switch The Track by GlobalTrackSwitchers
Questioning personal & authoritative mental models & frameworks to derive better solutions requires new cognitive frameworks.
The framework within which we (the grand, global we which oversees, governs, and participates in daily activities) is flawed. Our mental models which we use to process and act upon information are bumping up against walls of resistance. The ways in which we decide how to manage our lives are missing gears... we can no longer function in ways that make sense in current environmental landscapes.
Our methodologies are dysfunctional in the face of extreme change and we must find ways to resolve long standing issues created by deficient models and frameworks.
It may be that the concept of the Seventh Generation will serve as a foundation for creating the track switch. (See references).
Category of the action
Changing public perceptions on climate change
What actions do you propose?
- Utilize JudgeWiki for broad participation
- Reach out to climate researchers, activists & attorneys to recruit team members
- Utilize findings of International Consortium of Investigative Journalists
- Team review of historic environmental laws
- Identify agencies with most impact on climate issues
- Identify regulations, codes, laws and media (reports, press releases, announcements) pertaining to climate action controls
- Identfy the "blind spots" (reference @blindspotter) those areas which are not clear, or are considered "blocks"
- Develop proposal addressing pertinent issues
- Address responsible agencies with concerns
- Publicize research and share via social media venues
- Encourage alternate views and ideas to grow more awareness
Methodological Statements for Individuals:
- Believe that CHANGE is possible.
- Take responsibility to be part of the CHANGE process.
- Make a personal decision to be part of the solution.
- Explore new ways of doing "old" things and note improvements.
- Share widely what you have learned, without fear of ridicule.
- Retry, using what you have learned to make even more improvements.
- Encourage others to share what they have learned about new ways of doing their OLD things.
- Provide a "safe" discussion area where anyone can provide helpful suggestions.
- Keep factual records of both successes and failures because they both are steps in the learning process.
- Give the entire Group credit for any successes and then challenge them to take the next step by starting the process all over again.
Methodological Statements for World Policy Makers:
- Acknowledge that mistakes have been made.
- Accept that current policies and enorcement of laws are dysfunctional.
- Agree to let others sit at the table to create new methodologies.
- Be prepared to harness recources for "blockbuster" solutions
- Relinquish the power held over nation's citizens to those whose hearts are set on a path to a peaceful future embracing alternative energy solutions.
N.B. - this second set sounds rather pollyanna to me (the author) - please jump in
Issues to address:
- Use of legal tools to thwart activists promoting sensible land use decisions.
- Use of media to influence the thought processes of millions of people around the world.
- Use of force to quell activists seeking justice
- Lack of enforcement of laws meant to protect people and their environments.
- Disconnect between what is said and what is done among agencies and representatives.
Who will take these actions?
The team which will consist of activists, researchers, journalists, attorneys and others interested in furthering the project (e.g. students) from locations around the world.
Where will these actions be taken?
Initially via online connecting points (such as this foum) to develop the proposal, then disseminate information via online and other media that reaches communities around the world.
Publicly via online venues: social media, forums, blogs, magazines, newsletters, and a global "MeetUp" symposium.
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
What are other key benefits?
The intent is to identify and remove the "blinders" which shape our collective ways of thinking about climate issues. By removing the blinders it is hoped that new ideas may spawn which have potent impacts on the laws and agencies which govern and shape climate action and awareness.
What are the proposal’s costs?
There will be costs to support researchers and advocates (travel, office supplies), but, I see this as a primarily volunteer activity requiring few expenditures other than travel, presentation development, time, and energy.
Potential costs: $15,000-$30,000
Now-October 1, 2013: recruit the team & begin refining proposal and developing research activities, during this period send daily reports/press releases to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and other media outlets identified as having greatest impact on social awareness
October 2, 2013: Submit Press Releases with itinerary for global "MeetUp"
October 20-23, 2013: Convene global "MeetUp" via participatory, free access online and onsite symposium
October 30, 2013: Report out findings to major and alternative media outlets
November 11, 2013: Notify global leaders of "consortium" intentions
The Fine Line Between Adaptation and Migration! www.climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/19/planId/1001009
Identifying Hyper Consumption Reduction Methodologies
Social Darwinism: Questions to Inspire Knowledge Sharing and Action
First one must consider CHANGE is possible, then they must embrace new ways of doing things different than what they have tried before and finally they must share what they have learned so that others can follow in their footsteps and build upon their success.
Remember: Together We Win - CaptD
International Consortium of Investigative Journalists http://www.icij.org/
Credit for proposal photo to WikiMedia Commons: Arne Hückelheim from Germany, Sunset Tracks commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Knipptang#Using_Sunset_Tracks
Climate Change Solutions JudgeWiki Entry Page http://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Climate_change_solutions
Aesop Institute The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge ~ Socrates www.aesopinstitute.org
Dealing with Ideological Resistance to Change www.leadershipthoughts.com/blog/dealing-with-ideological-resistance-to-change/
Switch the Track Framework/Mental Model Slideshow (PDF) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OKLRWF2TMSWUNKWkwtY2RCWWs/edit
Conceptual Model, wiki:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OKLRWF2TMSaUlvU0E2dFRpSUU/edit
Jensen, P. Apr 2013 Switch the Track https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OKLRWF2TMScXU5WU80aFZYX0k/edit
Noam Chomsky www.chomsky.info
Selected papers by Noam Chomsky https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OKLRWF2TMSYTV3TEZCMXgycUE/edit
Seventh Generation https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7OKLRWF2TMSUC1aZGdoeVFJMHc/edit