We work to mobilize political commitment and financial investment for climate actions.
The Society for Climate Action is a global advocacy initiative, think-DO-tank bringing together voices from around the world to call for action to tackle climate change. We are engaging organizations of all background in sustainability innovation for tomorrow (THINK) while creating positive impact today (DO).
We work to mobilize political commitment and financial investment for climate actions, and also inform, connect and empower young people to take positive action on climate change across the world.
Category of the Action
Integrated action plan for the world as a whole
What actions do you propose?
WHAT PROBLEM ARE WE SOLVING
This year our global population reached the 7 billion mark – an historic milestone that brings with it new questions of economic, social and environmental sustainability. With over 50% of that 7 billion now living in cities, unprecedented strain is being placed on our urban centers to adapt and innovate, to absorb newcomers or redefine their boundaries, and to continue to support and enable opportunities for their residents.
Many communities around the world, including United States, Nigeria, Spain, Greece, Japan, China and others, currently find themselves struggling with issues like rising sea level, loss of bio-diversity, green house gas emission, wild fire etc. For example, Recently Lagos state Nigeria experienced a heavy rain fall attributed to climate change for just 24hours. The storm water overwhelmed the poorly designed drainages and canals that were already filled and choked up with refuse. 25 people lost their lives and existing city infrastructure was grounded. This had severe economic, cultural and sociological consequences.
Nonetheless, for all of their struggles, these regions and communities are brimming with potential. In fact, many efforts – some of them grassroots, some more formalized – are currently underway to mobilize residents, reconnect communities, identify climate change mitigating solutions, and infuse new economic growth in cities and areas around the world.
Now’s our chance to identify the economic, cultural, social or environmental levers we can pull to usher in the vibrancy and prosperity our planet need to thrive. The Society for Climate Action is a proposed organization that will tackle these challenges with our global community especially civil society groups, NGOs, Governments and private organizations. We believe that the concepts we create together will be relevant to engaged citizens everywhere who want to bring vibrancy to their own areas. So whether we’re in Detroit or Dublin or Dubai, we can put our heads together to create solutions that bring renewed energy and resources to our own communities.
We envision a world where carbon emissions are reduced and education promotes an understanding of the issues of climate change and sustainability, equipping people with the knowledge to apply this in their daily lives.
To initiate the processes that promotes and engages people on climate change education, adaptation and mitigation as a means of combating effects of climate change and other environmental issues in the world.
Society for Climate Action will develop social community for organizations of various background, youth engagement know-how and real life network of 1000 SCA Hubs to develop and engage global NGOs and youth aged 18 -35 and to create positive impact through FIVE STRATEGIC SCA ACTIVITIES:
1. SCA Competitions: the matrix of global, issue specific or local competitions. The Competition will invite people of all races and organizations of all background to find practical solutions to global environmental, social and business challenges in the area of climate action. The SCA online collaboration platform will serve as the home where organizations and people can get to know each other, create and form teams, choose challenges to participate, interact with mentors, and receive feed-back from expert judges and community.
2. SCA Commitments: individual and mass actions upon selected topics and tips. Inspired by very successful Tips of the Week, the articles and videos that inspired youth to make real change in daily lives, we are aiming to create the hub for empowering tips, real commitments and to monitor these impacts.
3. SCA Collaboration: sca-Hubs, sca-Action teams, The Earth Future Book.
SCA will evolve competitors’ engagement towards collaboration for implementation of ideas, participation in projects and for creation of measurable impact. Collaboration could be individual, team or mass engagement, globally or locally.
4. SCA Conferences: sca-Summit, SCA events. Each year all activities will conclude with a face-to-face SCA SUMMIT, a life-changing event connecting the most innovative individuals, pioneering businesses, policy leaders and other change makers in dialogue, reflection, and action.
Where will these actions be taken?
- The project launch will begin from Nigeria. We will work with several partners to make sure that the organization will pilot this model in an effective and sustainable way to foster growth.
Who will take these actions?
The organization will be structured as a non-profit outfit and will be made up of an interdisciplinary team of emerging talents in the areas of environment, urbanism, architecture, art, design, science, technology, education, and sustainability.This team will see to the day in day out activities of the organization and will spend time making the organization better every day by inviting and involving various stakeholders from around the world.
What are key benefits?
The project will help to generate political commitment and financial investment for climate change mitigating strategies across the world and it will also help to connect organizations across all sector in an innovative and effective way. It's time to deliver for climate.
What are the proposal’s costs?
I anticipate an investment of $1,000 in administrative, travel, and research expenses to write a business plan. In the near future, we will require an additional $2,000 to $5,000 for incorporation and legal expenses, plus $100,000 in seed financing to launch the project in Nigeria.
The Project will be launched in five major phases, during the following estimated dates:
Phase 1 Incorporation: Finalize business plan, incorporate, build project website: January—March, 2015
Phase 2 project Financing: project Financing: $100,000 to jump-start operations: 00,000 to jump-start operations: February—September, 2015
Phase 3 putting together SCA Centre: October—December, 2015
Phase 4 Optimize the center: November, 2015
Phase 5 open for operations: December, 2015