Skip navigation
Share via:
This proposal was moved to: United States’ Climate Action Plan 2015

Pitch

Do you know: 1 cow or horse = 1000 watts heater? 1 cow emission of methane 70 and 120 kg per year? heat stress is the biggest threaten?


Description

Summary

Large size livestock animal, such as cow and horse, emits significant heat energy all time.

Studies show that one cow is equivalent to a heater of 1kw to 1.5kw, average 1.2kw, and the said thermal energy is mostly dissipated by radiant and convection (about 70%), the other 30% by water vapor.

The insensible vapor loss via skin pores is about equivalent to 6.2 liters water per day. The urine water loss is about 15 liters per day.

Because the enthalpy of vapor is far bigger than water, so the less vapor still carries more heat than the large volume urine.

The 30kg/day manure alone constitutes another significant bio-chemical energy that can be extracted by anaerobic digester.

An innovative device of water jacket can work both as animal clothes and thermal collector.

The water jacket is designed in sandwich structure with hoses of interface for outside water circulation. It embraces the torso of large livestock, such as cow or horse. 

Animals are penned on an open camp or uninsulated tie-stall barn.

All hoses are hooked to a pipe matrix that is systematically connected to a barn-side water tank and vapor compressor.

Another building-side water tank is used to store higher temperature water that is the direct heat source of a radiant floor heating system.

The heat pump draws heat from barn-side warm water tank, and discharges heat to building-side water tank, then supports radiant floor heating system in winter or heat engine power plant in summer.

Water jack can also relieve the animal heat stress, because water is cooler than ambient air during hot season.

1 cow = 1000 watts, 1000 cows = 1MW.

As a good side-effect, the herd dressed in sexy colorful thermal coat will also stimulate higher reproduction and more milk production, and comfortable living can reduce the methane emission too.

If this invention is broadly applied, an new category of industry will be born: cow garment, and this can boost economics!

Let’s scavenge this amazing free renewable energy!

 


Which proposals are included in your plan and how do they fit together?


The simplest rural garage space heater!The simplest rural garage heater!

 

The heat and power co-generation system for a dairy farm with parasitic greenhouses vegetable-plant.

 


Explanation of the emissions scenario calculated in the Impact tab


What are the plan’s key benefits?


What are the plan’s costs?


What are the key challenges to enacting this plan?


Timeline


Related plans


References

http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/managing-heat-stress-in-dairy-cows.aspx

http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-2339914-864795.html