Overcome the Inertia of Denial by Fight
Join the FIGHT for survival. «First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one» -- Will McAvoy -- Say goodbye to Denial!
COMBINE INTERNET INGENUITY WITH FUNDAMENTAL LEGAL PRINCIPLES..............A ''MANHATTAN LIKE 'GADGET'''
Create an explosion of human interest leading to an overwhelming conclusion to the Anthropogenic Global Warming Debate.
The basic idea is to use crowdfunding to pay a team of lawyers to bring a civil suit against fossil fuel companies.
A CIVIL ACTION
At least 40 years have passed since the warnings of Climate Change have been widely recognized. Had we followed President Carter's initial conservation programs, it has been projected that the world would have been transformed today into one which is under 350ppm and well equipped with affordable and highly functional clean energy.
So why are we in this fix? Political polarity and moneyed interests have kept the general populace from unifying in our own best interests. The Children's Trust, is bringing lawsuits and is in a slow-crawl to prove the Government has a fundamental duty to uphold the 'Public Trust' and protect the environment from AGW.
Drastic measures are urgently needed in order to prevent what are most probably, catastrophic consequences.
Given the global access through the internet and an accompanying awareness of perhaps billions, there is an opportunity through ingenuity and cunning to create a Manhattan like 'Gadget'. Properly directed this could raise the funding to engage an Army of lawyers, fight the Big Moneyed interests and get the US Government to take the necessary actions to uphold the Public Trust.
- Which companies would be included in the action? Fossil Fuel
- How much money would the lawsuit seek? $100/ton CO2
- How would the money be used? Survival
This project is predicated on the simple fact that public opinion remains in enough doubt to keep us from acting sufficiently. The Inertia of Denial has to be broken. By bringing this to expedited Trial through shear force of viral funding and public interest, a fierce fight of ideas and science would conclude the Debate over the 'Cause' and dangers. Even Deniers would contribute to this and perhaps our greatest relief and victory would be a conclusion that it is not a crisis and is not caused by us. Who doesn't want to see this debate brought to a reasonable conclusion? Short of a revolution the most reasonable forum for this fight is in a Courtroom in a Civil Action.
In Exxon Mobil's own Reports (below) their legal teams must have 'made the case' they will lose the debate over the true 'Costs' of fossil fuels as they are estimating it to be $80 per ton of CO2. Extrapolating this to projections of a limit of 500 gigatons to maintain a rise below 2 degrees C, that's $40Trillion. So if we were to say they have already fined themselves, they are simply waiting for our lawyers to collect.......a seemingly attractive incentive for our legal Team.
ExxonMobil Admits Climate Change Is Real. It also Imposes an Internal Cost on Carbon. Still Not Enough to Get Any Love From the Greens (Interesting Reading, Though)
Which proposals are included in your plan and how do they fit together?
Make Climate A Top Priority for Action by Every US Citizen and Organization
Linking to the Plan above enhances both, via the need to accomplish this First Action of problem recognition in a scale commensurate with the actions needed. All of the 'Actions' listed below remain greatly important, for ongoing and continued mitigation.
Linked Plan’s key benefits?
1. Schools become focus for community change. All generations work together for common goals
2. Civic organizations unite around this challenge
3. Energy production becomes locally/regionally owned
4. Food production becomes much more local
5. Farms transition to organic saving soil and water
6. Ocean acidification is slowed or reversed
7. Fresh water is more available
8. Cars no longer burn fossil fuels = cleaner air
9. Overland freight and mass transit become cleaner
10. People regain connection to nature
11. CO2 is pulled from the air by trees
12. Homes/offices get warmed/cooled at low cost
13. Illness drops with less chemicals in air/water
14. Garbage gyres in oceans lessened
15. Construction waste goes down
16. Cost of carbon rises. Money distributed fairly
17. Shipping is less polluting
18. Manufacturing technology becomes eco-friendly
How the Plan comprehensively addresses all six sectors;
- Energy supply; cost of alternative/clean energy becomes the least expensive. Instead of mindlessly driving the world to oblivion, which many know to be ahead, we turn the entire economy toward a future of healthy possibilities. This transformation cannot be overvalued. All jobs begin to move in a positive direction, returning joy, passion, and prosperity to a world with a hopeful future.
- Transportation; cost of innovation and efficiency become more lucrative.
- Industry; same as 1. & 2.
- Buildings; same as 1.& 2.
- Land use; same as 1.& 2.
- Waste management, and adaptation; same as 1.& 2.
The process itself will manifest changes in all six sectors. By recognizing the Problem, its severity as well as its urgency, market mechanisms will be unleashed to create vast incentives leading to all kinds of positive physical actions; such as reduction in energy consumption and social actions such as new policies, changes in economic incentives, or evolution of behavioral norms that will be needed for those physical actions to occur.
A 'Finding of Cause' as part of a Civil Action is tantamount to bringing the Debate over AGW to a useful conclusion, 'joined' by 1B suitors.
A Price on Carbon would be the intended verdict/outcome. The proper accounting of the Costs of burning fossil fuels would unleash all of the proposed actions to be compatible and possible at the same time. Clean renewable energy sources would be far less expensive and conservation would rise to a fine art.
Explanation of the emissions scenario calculated in the Impact tab
With the exception of Population and GDP, the Key assumptions for all remaining categories of GHG emission reductions are given their highest possible level as a result of RECOGNITION of the problem. This is deemed reasonable because once the problem is seen, without doubt or resistance, the forces of public will will move quickly to the highest degree possible.
In fact, most of the reductions could be greater. The impact tab using Enroads model shows a reduction of 80% by 2050. With recognition of the problem, it is within reason the emission reductions would reach 100% even sooner.
This Proposal's goal is to accomplish that which is essential.
To First recognize the PROBLEM!
THE DEBATE REMAINS.
«First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one» -- Will McAvoy
As long as the US continues its Political masquerade of one side saying the Debate is over and the other side Denying its existence, all of the work (not to be disparaged or under appreciated) is, as it is, insufficient.
The Impact of emissions reduction will never reach the necessary levels until critical mass of Consensus is gained. Once the Debate is truly held and completed the transcendent ACTIONS will occur.
What are the plan’s key benefits?
Once the inertia of Denial is overcome in the US, the rest of World will follow. The US has lost respect from the Global Community as a result of its aggressive, ill-conceived efforts around the world, i.e. the Middle East Conflicts and AGW Denial. Its Denial of responsibility and action regarding the overwhelming consensus of the Scientific community has brought disrespect from those who see the enormous risks we all are taking with our health and the health of the Planet.
By taking up the task of a full-scale Courtroom Debate (presumably any Case would first dictate the need to find 'Cause') our Project would bring worldwide support thru crowd-funding. The entire Globe would be eternally grateful to the US for standing up to its responsibility.
We have waited far too long to act appropriately. It may be too late but forgiveness will not shed its grace if we continue as is.
What are the plan’s costs?
Three 'Launch Stages' are anticipated;
- Major Donor(s) 500K.
- To design/assemble an Internet launch for fundraising (Crowdfunding). Costs for this are to assure a platform and marketing scheme which has a high probability of going 'Viril'. Rather than seeking large contributions, the goal is to actuate enormous interest, perhaps as many as 1B global citizens, with contributions limited to 1 dollar each. The magnitude and importance of the interest exceeds the need for financing......though this could reach $1B if the Plan is properly conceived and launched.
- With success of Stage Two it is presumed that enormous interest and awareness has been placed into focus. This, in itself, would register on a seismic level. The Launch of Stage Three is predicated upon fulfilling the promise of the Second; To truly fulfill a highly bonafide, credible, virtually irrefutable conclusion/Judgment in a Venue of highest esteem. A Courtroom is presumed, as Rule-of-Law has no better in the history of mankind.
What are the key challenges to enacting this plan?
- Social media strategy for a viral interest/fundraising campaign
- Legal Army blessed with the yearning to save the Planet through Justice
- Thesis: The Problem remains for lack of understanding and that understanding remains as a ‘FIRST STEP’, a step never yet taken. The most prescient step is to bring the Problem to full recognition. Dismissed by perhaps billions who ‘get it’, but are we acting in a way that one would expect, given the significance? Therefore this Plan: TO OVERCOME THE INERTIA OF DENIAL.
- THE SOLUTION: Go back to the first step; no need to recreate the debate as it has been. The need is to create a better debate which has at its core, the urgent need for an Answer. Is it true or not? Hypothetically, one could surmise various outcomes;
- The winner is; ‘not true’. Good
- True…..what are we waiting for?
- Not sure……risks far exceed ignoring….what are we waiting for?
- Seek out primary Sponsors in order to fund the Global Crowd-funding strategy.
- The second stage of the project will need ingenious data and social media experts. A viral program is essential to the success of what is hoped to be a billion donors of $1 apiece.
- The 3rd stage will be the Legal Fight. 'A Civil Action'
By gathering a huge following, we gain both public support and participation. The excitement over such a huge fight in a civil medium has the potential to deliver the critical mass necessary to generate the energy needed to break the inertia of Denial.
'Finding Cause' will essentially overcome the inertia of denial. Thus, it sets in motion the more appropriate, massive actions necessary. The Defendants, major FF companies, would be made accountable for past, present and future damages.
This project needs to be completed yesterday...we cannot wait another 30 years.
- Stage One; 1-month
- Stage Two; 3-months
- Stage Three; 8-months*
* Emergency legal ingenuity required to change protocol
Make Climate A Top Priority for Action by Every US Citizen and Organization
There are an additional 20-linkages via the link to the Proposal above.
The case of the Tobacco Companies in Jon Oliver's sketch (Linked below) is used to show the lack of social responsibility that some large Corporations seem to possess, for profit. It is an extremely good example of this as it relates to the problem of Climate Change Denial and how it keeps us from appropriate action.
'A Civil Action' by Jonathan Harr
Checkout James Hansen's 'Golden Opportunity' and compare it with Charles Krauthammer's "Tax gas - a lot". It would transform the world's fossil fuel addiction and create millions of jobs leading to the well-being of people and the Planet.
A profound example of success of legal action is that of the Tobacco Industry. In a very short span of time, the problem has been diminished to a small fraction of its glory days. But, as an even more profound example of the relentless destruction, the Tobacco Industry is making bigger profits than ever by exploiting the weaknesses of poor Countries. They are able to promote and distribute, bypassing warnings in a horrendous display of greed without conscience.