QR code based dustbin to ensure,reward people who recycle and sort waste at source and help reduce emissions by effective recycling & reuse.
My concept proposes to stick a QR code sticker on a public dustbin, in order to prove that the user has recycled the product, using the the recycling app he or she has to scan the QR code of the dustbin in which they are depositing the goods for recycling and also scan the barcode of the products they are recycling. Then reward points will be added to the user's account which can be redeemed during next purchase. Users can drop used product packages in these drop boxes and earn rewards, which will encourage people to recycle.The app will also match the location of the user in order to avoid misuse of reward program and to prevent the user from scanning the code from home without visiting the recycle bin.
- Will people take the time to scan two codes if they barely take the time to recycle at all?
People will scan the codes because it will give them points or discount coupons which generate savings for them when they buy the product next time from the manufacturer. Manufacturer also be in a better position to give the users discount because the manufacturers in return will get empty packages and conatiners which manufacturers can recylce and produce overall savings to the company this benefit is extended to customers and it will be useful for the environment also.
2.Could you describe how the people could get paid for recycling under this program?
There will be an app for smartphones the user can use the app to scan the QR codes of the product and dustbin. The points are added to users account when they scan the QR codes meaning that they have recycled the product. Once the users reach a threshold of points they can use the same for redeeming the vouchers and discounts.Various merchants can signup with this program like Coca cola which will give points for recycling coke products or may be Unilever who gives points for recycling their products.The dustbin QR codes are changed regularly so that the user doesn't cheat the system.
Category of the action
Reducing emissions from waste management
What actions do you propose?
- Encourage recycling using incentive based QR code based dustbin proposed above.
- Through efficient recycling, reduce emissions.
- Companies get access to empty bottles of their products which can be effectively recycled and reused.
- Better waste management so organic waste can be separated and can be effectively used as compost or manure.
- Business model:- Ads placed on bins and ads shown in the app act as revenue revenue source, the real revenue source to make the system sustainable comes from companies enrolled in the same campaign, they generate savings by getting highly sorted packages which they can recycle and reuse to save money, a portion of saved money is passed on to consumers via coupons and discounts given through this program.
Who will take these actions?
- Governments and policy makers will have to come up with the above technologies and policies.
- the technology already exists just getting it together is enough.
- Companies around the globe will have to support government in implementing it and as a benefit companies will get high quality sorted empty products for recycle and reuse.
Where will these actions be taken?
All around the globe.
What are other key benefits?
- Reduction in green house gases due to effective recycling and reuse.
- Cuts down pollution levels.
- Directly encourages people to follow a better recycling methods.
- Companies also will profit as they will also get sorted waste and their bottles separately for recycling which can generate savings for them.
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
2,400 pounds of Carbon dioxide annually per house if atleast half of the household waste is recyled.
What are the proposal’s costs?
- QR sticker on each recycle bin assuming recycle bin already exist for an year - 1 dollar
- App development and user account management for incentive based program- $1500
It can be deployed within a year.