OwnATree by SAADITHYA
Carbon pricing by encouraging defaulters to pay for owning, protecting and planting more trees using variety of high tech methods.
My idea proposes to put an indirect price on carbon, here we encourage people & corporates to invest in owning trees. The more carbon they release to environment, the higher they must spend in growing more trees, they can own trees with an online platform called Ownatree. Ownatree will be run by Environmental & eco clubs across the world. Anyone can go to the platform & can own a tree by paying the fees, the user will get a QR code with all details about their tree, location & image. So from now on corporate green certification will also depend on number of trees they own and number of trees their employees own which they can showcase as a greenbelt.Here again blockchain cab be used to record the ownership of the trees.Here unlike crypto currencies that can be exchanged multiple times, here trees can be exchanged only 2 times in a year.
The platform also allows users to plant more trees using variety of high tech methods like drone seeding campaigns.
Is this proposal for a practice or a project?
What actions do you propose?
- Identifying carbon polluters based on use of fossil fuels, that means if a company X uses more fossil fuel than Y then clearly X is responsible more carbon
- Using drones fitted with carbon & pollution sensors to identify & measure carbon emissions in real time and based on the location the owner responsible can be identified.
- A Carbon score dashboard needs to be prepared for top 100 companies responsible for carbon emissions & we should try to measure their emissions by various methods.
- A second dashboard will show the contribution of companies towards green initiatives like owning more trees, protecting more trees, planting more trees, eco volunteers. If there is an imbalance then companies will have to pay penalty.
- Aerial reforestation, or seed bombing, is a method for repairing deforested land.
Who will take these actions?
- The platform will be build by us.
- We will collaborate with Eco clubs & environment NGOs across the globe.
- Collaboration with Muncipality & Government bodies to ensure implementation of proposal.
- Collaboration with drone seeding starups like Oxford-based start-up Biocarbon Engineering.
- Collaboration with companies across the globe that have worked towards growing & planting more trees. Fortunately there are a many of them.
For example:- OneTreePlanted
Where will these actions be taken?
Across the globe.
In addition, specify the country or countries where these actions will be taken.
What impact will these actions have on greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
- This will help indirectly price carbon.
- Will help grow more trees.
- It will bring corporate responsibility to carbon emissions.
- This will keep a check on carbon emissions and it will help identify & measure carbon emission defaulters & make them pay for it.
What are other key benefits?
- Will help grow more trees bringing more fresh air & greenery around.
- Will help reduce pollution & respiratory diseases.
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
- Platform development cost - $1000
- Marketing campaign - $1000
- Volunteer programs & meetups initial - $3000
- Platform development - 6 Months
- The project pilot roll out - 6 Months
- Full scale deployment - 1 Year +
About the author(s)
I am a passionate Innovator, inventor and the winner of 35 grand innovation challenges till date, spanning across various industries solving a variety of problems, I use cross pollination of technology across a industries to solve simple & complex problems. Since climate change is a complex problem that is faced by humanity, I am trying to make novel innovations in this sector through my various innovation projects & inventions.
I am a graduate in Mechanical engineering & I have acquired various professional skills and certifications as part of my innovation projects in multiple fields of Engineering.I am also the founder of Givemechallenge.com an online platform which is an innovation portal for making innovation opportunities accessible to all.