Alliancing Green producers and green consumers for green future
Greeners’ alliance Green producer union
Sri Lanka’s economy has traditionally been dominated by agriculture. Agriculture plays a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic development. The agriculture sector constituted 20 per cent of gross domestic product.
Sri Lanka with a recorded history of over 15000 years and a prehistory of several millennia, acquired an accumulated wisdom of managing and conserving her natural resources and her rich biodiversity. It is also recognized that in sustainable development, and in the conservation of nature and its riches, traditional wisdom and the life styles of people perform a vital role.
Consumers have concern much about chemical free healthy food due to increasing food borne illness in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka initiate sustainable development programme in many sectors align with international convention so this kind of initiative will important to run as pilot project. Agriculture sector in Sri Lanka face crisis in related to socioeconomic and environment sector.
Market is the main and very important driver for sustainable agriculture. But still not efficient supply chain for safe food stuff in the country. There is high demand versus supply in this particular agriculture products in Sri Lanka. Nature of the market highly differ with market of conventional agriculture products therefore appropriate supply chain match with organic products is critical need for development of the sector.
Project is aim to developed innovative supply chain for total products and services for ecological agriculture commodities to balance the multidimensional wellbeing of human and nature through innovative community based agribusiness model .
This project will elaborate many outcomes such as greening the conventional agriculture , livelihood diversification of rural farmers, increase the availability of safe food at affordable price, promotion of sustainable consumption and improvement of spiritual life.
1. Business plan for production and marketing of compost from urban solid wastes / Wassie Haile Woldeyohannes and 1 other
2. Greenhouses for / Maeve and Esthe
What actions do you propose?
Action of the project design based on system approach align with following objectives
- Organizing and networking of producers and consumers of ecological agriculture products and related services.
- Alliancing the consumers and producer through social venture
- Introduce the green technology and circular economic model for rural agriculture
- Introduction of participatory guarantee system including multidimensional certification system .
- Development of direct marketing channels for ecological agriculture products.
- Supply chain development for total commodities in ecological agriculture production system.
- Promotion of sustainable consumption against irresponsible consumption.
- Improvement of spiritual capital with extraordinary strategies.
Green producers and green consumers
Green producer” simply define as any producer who produce agriculture related products with human and ecological health friendly manner under given standards.
Green producer organize village level to national level. Green Producer interest group is the village level functional Green Producer Interest Groups(GPIG)” simply define as any producer groups which produce similar kind of products with sustainable manner. GPIG is the lowest level unit of the production system and GPIG in the particular agrarian division will form a Green Producer Divisional organization(GPDO) then GPDO will be organize as Green Producer District Organization(GPDIO) and finally GPDIOs will network as Green producer union( GPU) as national level body. Both GPU and GCU are the nonprofit organizations.
Field level functional and physical body of the this business model is Green Producer Resource Centre(GPRC). This centre will be established based on community hall like public asset or house of leader farmer of any particular producer group.
Scope of green producer union will be,
Forecasting the future demand and design the production system , community production planning, Impliment the internal control system for products , extension, functioning promotion, direct marketing and empower the producers to produce their products more healthy and eco friendly manner.
Out-grower production model is the core strategy of production of goods and services. Out grower production system will be manage by green producer union.
Green Consumer Union(GCU)
“Green consumer” simply define as any Consumer who willing to consume agriculture related products produced with human and ecological health friendly manner under given standards.
Main marketing approach of the concept is direct marketing and proposed GCU is strategically fit with the concept because of guaranty and quality of the products can be assure well.
Basic level of the GCU is institutional based Green Consumer Societies . Initially Colombo district will cover by establishing GCS and after the lessoned Learned it will be expanded in to other urbanized cites.
Gathering of GCS within district will form a Green Consumer District Organization(GCDIO) and finally GCDIO s will network as Green Consumer Union( GCU) as national level organization.
Scope of the GCU will be,
Establish quality standards system concerning criteria such as health safety , eco friendly, social sustainability and register the producers who meet the standards ,certify the products. Awareness of members on rational and responsible consumption, Assessment of the futures demand share the information with Green producer union,
Greeners alliance is the name of the business concept and it will be an main and important this business modal. GA will be social business venture and it will create platform to transaction of the good and services between producers and consumers with unconventional manner.
Scope of GA will be
Distribution of products and services among the member of GCU, Provide the guaranteed market for the producers. distribution of quality inputs to producers. training and coaching of producers. help to operation of internal control system(ICS) and other certification standards.
Products services and marketing
Primary products of the this production system will,
- Agriculture inputs :Organic fertilizer, organic pesticides, food ingredients etc.
- End products: Rice, grains, vegetable, livestock products etc.
- Agro-tourism products
- Ecosystem services(Sequestered carbon)
- direct marketing program for agriculture products and tis direct marketing scheme include flowing main direct marketing methods.
Direct marketing is the main marketing strategy and it will consist with different direct marketing methods including. Farmers market, Social network web, Farm hut and farm stand, “U pick”, Culinary tourism, Eco-agro tourism and farm to institution direct marketing
Participatory guarantee system(PGS)
Participatory Guarantee Systems (PGS) are locally focused quality assurance systems. They certify producers based on active participation of stakeholders and are built on a foundation of trust, social networks and knowledge exchange."(IFOAM)
Proposed PGS will name as Green Lanka and it will be developed based on existing organic standards of FGC, UTZ and IFOAM certification system. Proposed certification system will include mandatory and voluntary standards and based on that
Three level of set of standards will developed under proposed PGS .
Level 1. Chemical free standards (Organic)
Level 2. Biodiversity conservation and ecosystem services
Level 3. Revitalization of spiritual and cultural values
Level 1 is mandatory minimum standards and Level 2 and Level 3 standards are the voluntary standards.
Humanize production and consumption through spirit and culture
Inspirational ecotourism activities, consumer and producer education towards sustainable consumption and production. Conduct cultural programed spiritual activities to synergy with human to human and human with nature. Initiate Life coaching activities to help real meaning of living.
Gist economy is othe major important event will implement under this programe component gift economy is gift culture, or gift exchange is a mode of exchange where valuables are not traded or sold, but rather given without an explicit agreement for immediate or future rewards.
This concept will practically apply in the agro-tourism business. Consumer are encourage to gift some items such as used tools, safety equipment and producers will encourage to gift some farm products. Well planed empowerment programme both consumers and producers regarding this project will be implemented.
Who will take these actions and which types of actors are involved?
Scope of the Green Producer Union (GPU)
• Forecasting the future demand and design the production system , allocate the producers
, crop and type of livestock according to demand.
• Establish resource center considering feasibility of logistic operation and easy to reach producers.
• Establishment of Participatory Gurantee System( PGS) and parallel internal control system to control the quality to meet accepted quality standard by GCU
• Play the role of negotiation and advocacy with consumer union.
• Establish extension system using appropriate extension tools such as model farm, innovative farmers, field schools, participatory technology development.
• Functioning promotion, direct marketing and other activities in related to supply chain management.
• Empower the producers to produce their products more healthy and eco friendly manner.
Scope of the Green Consumer Union(GCU)
• Establish quality standards system concerning criteria such as health safety , eco friendly, social sustainability and register the producers who meet the standards ,certify the products and conduct frequent quality auditing process collaborating with the company.
• Aware the members on rational and responsible consumption and other sectors that important for better life (through awareness meeting, e news letter and other social media).
• Assets the futures demand of the organization for agricultural food products and share the information with farmer organization.
• Screen the good quality food product available in the market and distribute among the members.
• Ply the advocacy role.
Contribution of Greeners Alliance(GA)
- Distribution of products and services among the member of GCU
- Provide the guaranteed market for the farmers.
- Distribution of quality inputs.
- Assurance for the credit.
- Provide grant for the farmers if necessary.
- Find and organize contract farmers.
- Training and coaching of farmers .
- Help to operation of internal control system(ICS) and other certification standards.
- Provide quality requirement based guidelines to the farmers and relevant production technologies to produce the product comply with quality requirement.
Contribution of Government sector
- Initiation and co-implementation of the project .
- Help find the contract farmers and organize them.
- Advocacy service for ongoing issues of the project.
- Coo-financing for the project.
- Institutional support for the private sector.
- Advocacy service for ongoing issues of the project.
- Direct funding for the farmers.
- Project monitoring
Contribution Green technology forum
Coo-financing for the project.
- Coo-implementation project
- Advocacy service for ongoing issues of the project.
- Project monitoring evaluation and redirecting.
- Contribution Formation of Green producer union and Green consumers Union.
- Establishment and management of PGS.
- Advocacy service for ongoing issues of the project.
Where will these actions be taken and how could they scale?
This project will be able initiate Four District thus Krunegala, Mathale, Matra and Hambanthota Srilanka
This project will cover initially 5000 of producer and 25000 consumers. 15000 hectares of farm land will be covered with the project
In addition, specify the countries where these actions will be taken.
What impact will these actions have on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
Trough our study we valued 13 types of ecosystem services. Based on this information project the ecosystem services will generated in 15000 hectares land area will cover by the project. Economic values of different ecosystem services in 15000 hectare ( see the publicationhttp://www.a-a-r-s.org/acrs/administrator/components/com_jresearch/files/publications/Ab%200025.pdf
We have assessed mean annual sequestered carbon stock in forest garden through study and result was 155.19 carbon tones per hectares per years. According that projected sequestered carbon in 15000 hectares land area will be 2327850 carbon tones per year. Arable land area in Sri Lanka 1200000 hectares and Emsion of the agriculture sector is 6.39 MtCO?e we hope to reduce 60% emission in 15000 hectares of agriculture Land area . per capita emission in Sri lanka is 2.16 tCO?e we paln reduce the 70 % of current emission of 15000 producers and 25000 of consumers
What are the most innovative aspects and main strengths of this approach?
Following component are the Innovation of this project
Green Producer Union
Green Consumer Union
Multiple products and service
Participatory guarantee system
Producer and consumer education program.
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
This project is design on “Back Better” approach. Many positive externalities include this project so this project include many environmental , economical and social benefit. We cant identify negative externalities significant level.
About the Authors
Author of the this project is K.G.jayantha Pushpakumar ahd he is Graduate in Agriculture special. He was Former president association of natural resources conservation faculty of agriculture university of Ruhuna. He has more than 11 years hands own experiencers and professional qualification in organic agriculture, Ecosystem services, ecotourism, indigenous agriculture, consumer education , forest restoration and, participatory research and community development.
1.Pushpakumara K.G.J1 *, Pulasthi patirana1 and A.A.S.H.Athukorala1 ,Valuing ecosystem services, biodiversity and their contribution to farmer’s livelihood with potential for future benefit shearing mechanism of forestgarden farming systems of three different agro-ecological zones in sri lanka. http://www.a-a-r-s.org/acrs/administrator/components/com_jresearch/files/publications/Ab%200025.pdf
2. Global policy toolkit on public support to organic agriculture | IFOAM, https://www.ifoam.bio/en/global-policy-toolkit-public-support-organic-agriculture
3 Organic Farming Unleashed: A Joint Effort to Build an Enabling Environment,https://www.rvo.nl/subsidies-regelingen/projecten/organic-farming-unleashed-joint-effort-build-enabling-environment
4. Institutional innovations in African smallholder carbonhttps://cgspace.cgiar.org/rest/bitstreams/20192/retrieve
What enabling environment would be required in order to implement this proposal?
Following policy option relevant with build enabling environment for this prposed project.
Finical and in-kind assistance to support training extension and research on organic Agriculture .
Exempting organic inputs from taxes and/or import duties. Financial, technological, institutional support for production of quality organic inputs. Scouting and screening by government institutions on good quality and economical organic inputs in international market and link the importers to import and trading.
Subsidies to operators for private organic certification
Equipment subsidy for product testing
PGS-development options: Financial and technical support can be provided to establish, build capacity, and ensure continuity of PGS in the country.
Inclusion of organic certification in a wider subsidy policy for certification, or food quality schemes in general. Time limited payments during conversion
Subsidizing farmers to purchase or produce organic inputs: The subsidy may be in the form on an initial grant for facilities and equipment for on -farm input production.
Establish a separate pool of funds for organic producers;
Grant tax and credits incentives on organic farm income
Investment support support for organic agriculture value chin development.
Support for advertising through government media channels or grant finical support to advertise private media
Provide Public Properties (Lands and building ) for marketing place
Public procumbent for farmer products.Give national mandates or incentives to other levels of government to purchase organic products for their institutions.
Investment support for local processing facilities and equipment
Build capacity for policies and regulation to support market systems development.
Fund projects, and collaborate with other parties e.g. organic sector organizations, development agencies, in the planning and implementation of activities for consumer education
Institution support by government sector to access the direct marketing to private and public intuitions
Livelihood diversification support with secondary products
Agro tour competitive grants
Under this competitive grants should assist for acquire facilities and equipment and seed fund for access the market
Compensation of ecosystem services
Finical subsidies to valuing ecosystem service of farm land
Institutional support for advocacy and other jurisdictional support soloing, reselling and benefit sharing
Financial support for capacity building the training and recruitment capacities of NGOS to management of benefit sharing mechanism.
The enabling factors that require attention and investment are: (1) innovation policy and corresponding governance structures to strengthen agricultural innovation framework
Minimum price of Products
Set the minimum price of the products considering welfare of producers and consumers.