Business leads civil society integrated interventions toward circulars economic by Bandula Weerasinghe
Municipal level awareness and motivated multi stakeholders cluster circulars web in to rethink their sustainable living and GHG reduction.
Summary / Résumé
English is not my familiar language and writing is not so perfect, please read and understand behind my proposal.
This proposal addresses the civil society multi stakeholders’ integrated involvement toward GHG emission reduction. Apartments,sector specific and geographical civil society circulars leaders form municipality economic circular by municipality Chamber/ business. The communities aware and educate on GHG emission at all levels, mitigation methods, impacts of GHGs, GHG emission reduction based economic opportunities ect. With this information rethink and motivated members of municipality economic circular develop collective strategy plan for the GHG reduction at their level.
Mainly practices 4 Rs.
- Rethink in stress free life – lifestyle, wastages based on energy & materials, foods supplies, use of motor vehicles, environment and others
- Reduce – energy use, water usage, solid waste, fossil fuel, open burning, leakages, runner off water wastages, use of motor vehicles
- Solar energy, biogas, Denro power, wind power, tiddle waves, mini & large hydro power etc.
- Reuse – Energy, machinery, motor vehicle, through scrap products, services and use
- Scrap products – rebuild tyre, lubricant, plastic items, papers, scrap part production, scrap material production
- Recycle products – Biogas, Compost, papers, water etc
- GHG emission sensitivity community
- Multi stakeholders forum
- Sustainability on interventions
- Financial & social benefit
- Business community involvement (Chambers)
- Multi stakeholders
- Environment friendly practices
- Integrated approach
- Future leaderships –
GHG emmission reduced by more than 50% after 3 years.
Total cost is US $ 35800.00
Project period is 4 years
Start-up period 2 years– Manage by Chamber - Awareness and formation of MEC and its preliminary activities
Handing over period 1 years – Manage by Chamber and leaders of MES
Strengthen MEC, register organization, Org. Capacity development
Fallow up period 1 years – Fully manage by MES
What actions do you propose? / Quelles actions proposez-vous?
1.1 Community awerness including women
Most of the families’ women including mother take the decision on behalf of family and the other family members including husband or farther commonly agreed her decisions. If we can aware and motivate women on rethink, reduce, reuse, regenerate and recycle their cost, resources, wastes, materials, energy ect it will help to circular economy.
1.2 Conduct survey to identify community structures
Municipality level conducts the survey to identify the active formal or informal community structures and their mission, possibilities of GHG issues and if so strengthen and weaknesses ect.
1.3 Organizing or form community clusters for GHG emission reduction and promote environment
Municipality level GHG award and motivated community (Mainly women) clusters in to their apartment’s level, women society, churches level, and welfares levels to take action at micro level wile contributing to Municipality level and national level. The size of group is around members 10 – 30.
The group members more strengthen on GHG reduction and its positive actions. Let theme to discuses, organize and develop leaderships to positive actions.
1.4 Conduct house hold/ apartment level survey on GHG emission information likes,
- Cost calculation – Calculate household cost items at individuals and apartment level and identify amount of cost for what ?
- Garbage – quantity, items, reuse, recycles ect
- Electricity - quantity, individual, time, purpose, minimizes, souse of energy, reducing
- Water Use - purpose, quantity, waste, reuse possibilities, reducing
- Fossil fuel - purpose, quantity, using renewable energy,
- Use of motor vehicles – Common transport hours, private vehicle use, purpose, reducing
- CFC instruments – Fledges, ACs, other reasons
- Quality of Air -
- Food consumption – souse of foods, own foods, garden availability, home gardening etc
- Runoff / leaking water – survey, catchment area, contamination, use of water hydro energy, agriculture etc
- Other consumptions -
- Business/ Entrepreneurs
- Data collection on private sector or entrepreneurs ways and amount GHG emission in their business directly or indirectly.
- Collect business secondary data through chambers, municipalities or relevant authorities
- Collect GHG emission updated available information or conduct survey
- Conduct awareness on GHG emission reduction for top business leaders (chamber leaders) and get their concern working on GHG reduction
- Cluster or form small circulars business in according to geotropically, size, amount of GHG emission or type of business
- Conduct detail awareness on cluster level
3. Form Business lead civil society circulars at apartment levels toward municipality level
- Business cluster leader form civil society circulars at their levels/ apartment levels
- Leaders of apartment levels form municipality level circular
- Conduct apartment levels and municipality level individual and business GHG emission findings participatory analytic excises and awareness
- Business leadership municipality civil society circular strategic plan for GHG reduction with apartment levels
- Prepare collective action plan for circular economic model.
- Proposed Actions
Proposed common agreement and action taken by business leadership municipality level civil society circular with the sustainable manner with survival finance profit. Civil society group or individual can be start environment friendly business on part productions (sub product), end products or energy production and related value chain. The GHG reduction circulars promote conducive business environment for environment friendly business. Business community invest or support to invest as a group business or as individual. Government, private sector and individual practice GHG reduction habits and directly or indirectly contribute to the business circulars. Chambers lobby get the loan for a concession rate interest for the GHG reduction business. Business community gives special price for the renewable energy, scrap based sub products and or end products. Value chain on GHG related community business promote by business community through special price, promotion, forward agreement, business out sousing, granting, recognizing, standardizing etc.
4.1 Minimize existing GHG emission individuals (family level) and municipality level with economic circulars
- Switch off and unnecessary energy use
- Maximum use of renewable
- Zero polyethylene use and promote eco raping
- Train technical skilled service provider groups in apartment level with water leakage, motor vehicle engine repairs, AC repair ect.
- Use CFC free refrigerators
- Re use motor vehicles and other electronic appliances
- Maintain green garden own houses/ apartment
- Promote apartment level forest garden
- Use fallen leaf for hot beds or compost marking
- Maximize efficiency of drinking water
4.2 Minimize Fossil fuel consumption (norms and practice)
- Reduce automobile mentality and Promote common transport by government or private sector
- Reduce personnel vehicle in traffic hours
- Reduce school individual transport through food bicycle, common transport and train
- Generate Denro power with punning branches, garden fodder, forest scraps etc (No burn concept)
- Mini hydro plant in small streams and promote large hydro power plant in running water
- Bio gas making in individual or common toilet pits
- Maximize use of solar power for heating, lighting, cooking etc
- Promote electricity transport
- Community including women awareness on fossil fuel reduction
4.3 Promote Scrap based product by individual and business level
- Promote use Tyre, vehicle, plastic, iron, engine oil etc collection centres network at municipality level
- Value chain development each scarp products
- Train and research on scrap production
- Promote scrap based part production and end products by lone schemes, business supports and out sousing
- Promote scrap based rebuild tyre, scrap motor vehicle, repair electronic items, polymer, lubricant, bricks ect.
4.4 Renewable energy production at domestic level and promote business by investors
- Collect rain and drain water from the catchment and making mini hydro power
- Wind power through wind mill for individuals and investment level large scale
- Denro power with punning existing vegetation and cultivate new bush forest
- Volcano power can use if available
- Sea tiddle waves for if available. These are possible renewable energy investment promote by team with government subsidy.
4.5 Government with Municipalities
- Standardized GHG emission at local level
- Conducive policy on GHG emission control and starts new business
- Special loan for GHG business promotion
- Material suppliers to end user value chain development in related to GHG friendly practices
- Youth, women and others skill training on GHG friendly business, provide services, scrap product etc. (scrap tyre, plastic, lubricant, rubber products, automobile parts ect)
- Recognitions for GHG friendly practices for mortivations.
- Share experiences with others
- Research facilities and connect to the research findings
4.6 Designer and planner
- GHG sensitive apartment and town planning
- Green apartment promotion
- Natural air, solar use planning and designing
- Bio Gas making plant in apartment level
- Reduce traffic and aware apartment with industrial environment
- Forest cover management task for all the apartments and individuals
- Reduce garbage dumping, water stagnate, rain water harvesting etc
Which types of stakeholders are involved, in which way? / Quels types de parties prenantes sont impliqués, de quelle façon?
Municipality & government
- Regular GHG data collection and dissemination with community
- Making GHG standardization at municipality level
- Support for concession business loan for GHG friendly business
- Community awareness and regular checking
- Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Business Association
- Take leadership with members and civil society actors (Stakeholders)
- Promote and invest GHG friendly business
- Develop business link with scrap collectors, part producers ect
- Mentor GHG friendly new businessmen
- Invest on repair service in related to GHG
- Out sousing for GHG friendly business production among families
Municipality Economic circular (forum)
*** (This form by representations of apartments levels and other civil society circulars likes trade association, women association, sector specific business associations, welfare societies, agriculture associations, professionals, NGOs, youth associations etc. Municipality Chamber or Business Association get the leadership with government municipality.)
- Prepare municipality participatory economic circular (GHG reduction) strategy paper and monitor its implementation, fallow up and monitoring with the stakeholders.
- Race the fund, funding or invest/ contribute the environment friendly local initiatives
- Organizing and represent lobbying and advocacy issues on GHG emission
- Networking with other municipalities and national level for circular economic promotion
- Individuals or apartment holders
- Promote and participate scrap production by using by family levels
- Use common transport
- Investment on micro level GHG friendly production
- Keeping GHG sensitivity and motivation within family members
Planner & Designers
- GHG emission control apartment Planning and designing
- Technical views for policy decisions
- Innovative ideas for GHG friendly projects and investments
CSOs, NGOs and other associations
- Fund raising for campaigns
- Conduct GHG emission awareness and trainings
- Net working and lobbying supports
Youth & women
Investers and convention storses
How could the actions be scaled up at the neighborhood or city level? / Comment serait-il possible d'augmenter la portée des actions à l'échelle des quartiers ou de la ville?
This model completely replicates or scalds up adjoining cities. Because of
- Multi stakeholder’s representation at all level from family, apartments and Municipality level. Collective decisions taken to action with vision and mission. The proposal brings social, financial, technical, educational, security benefits to the individual and as community. This benefit motivates community in to actions.
- Businesses receive leaderships and recognition by community and the society. They use their networks and marketing and other networks to adjoining areas. MSMEs, SMEs and Larger scale Business has opportunity invest or support environment friendly business as their CSR.
- Scrap and other GHG friendly business have motivated material suppliers and part producers through at ground level. Large scale business develops their value chain with other adjoining cities.
- Family domestic cash flow going down through reduction of wastage, income from wastage, reusing the products etc.
- Domestic level and group business bring to the income and social welfares to the community.
- Gradually mind free attractive life space in the apartment with simple life style will be created among them in social cohesiveness environment.
These kinds of benefits could be shared with adjoining townships with churches, chambers, NGOs, women associations; municipality sharing using through discussions, visuals, B2B meetings would be scald up.
What impact will these actions have on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change? / Quels impacts auront ces actions sur la réduction des émissions de gaz à effet de serre et l'adaptation aux changements climatiques?
- GHG sensitive local civil society circulars are networks at municipality levels to practices and voice for the environment action at national level.
- Household and individual business level energy wasting (Saving) reduced by 50%
- Locally appropriate small and large scale renewable energy production by individuals and investors and 9% energy supplied. (Denro, solar, hydro power, Bio gas, wind and sea diddle ways power)
- Fossils fuel reduction by 30% by practices, alternatives energy and savings
- GHG emission reduction related Tyre, Lubricant, Rubber, plastic scrap production and its supply network developed. GHG reduction by 6%.
- Runner off and rain water conservation practised by municipalities
- Business and apartments or individual levels cultivate and manage cultivation gardens, forest for O2 emission, Denro energy and economic benefits.
- Garbage degradable and materials for scrapes selected by family and business levels and total garbage reused.
- Zero GHG emission by common, apartment and business places septic tanks through biogas making.
- Scandalized GHG emission system at municipality level and collective monitoring system available.
- GHG emission controlling promotion, publicity and recognizing practices at municipality level.
- No wood burning open areas by community and wood heating reduction by 75%.
- Fallen leafs no burning and using for compost, hotbeds and Denro power making .
What are the other environmental, economic or social benefits? / Quels sont les autres bénéfices environnementaux, économiques et sociaux?
· Micro organism of soil developed for natural degradation and soil condition developed.
· Forest and green vegetation increased in the living areas and common places by community
· Apartment areas are fresh and clean
· Organic manure and green farming practices developed by farmers
· Bio diversity of the area developed
· Social cohesiveness within the municipality developed
· PP and PPP for GHG friendly investment developed
· Value chain developed in scarp production
· Community, government, private sector civil society network developed
· Domestics cash flow inflection going down by energy saving, reusing, recycling and own gardening ect.
· Economic benefits to poor, youth and women through crap collection, distribution and production ect.
· Business out sousing with community and community income increased
· Country investment at local level and unemployment reduced.
· Job creation for youth by skill development, special lone for GHG new business and its services.
· National and international voice for the GHG reduction with best practices
· Municipalities apartment management cost reduced with best habits
· Agricultural land area increased by Irrigatable water through rain water and runoff water collection.
· Cooking cost reduced by own bio gas production
· Special interest pre lone for promote GHG friendly business
· Scrap tyre, lubricant and other product culture developed among the customers
· Community stress and tension reduced through nature friendly simple life
Social harmony and non conflict life style in the families and apartments
What are the most innovative aspects and main strengths of this approach? / Quels sont les aspects novateurs et les principales forces de cette approche?
- 4Rs – re think, reduce, reuse and recycle concept
- Total civil society involvement and its active involvement
- Business leadership
- Geographical and sector level structured Municipality sustainable network
- Participatory strategic planning and project cycle management
- Entrepreneurship for GHG reduction interventions
- Holistic and integrated approach
- PPP intervention and private sector local investment
- CSR promotion among business community
- Sustainability of the action
- Future oriented with local action
- 2nd generation voluntary action with GHG sensitivity
- Economic benefits for all active stakeholders
What are the proposal’s projected costs? / Quels sont les coûts projetés de la proposition?
Kickoff meetings at local and municipality level US $ 400.00
Awareness for form 60 local circulars $ 3000.00
Form Economic Circular at Municipality level $ 600.00
Conduct monthly meetings $ 1200.00
Strategic preparing workshop 2 days $ 3000.00
Conduct awareness $ 5000.00
Plant nursery management $ 1600.00
Investors discussion $ 1000.00
Skill development for scrap producers $ 3000.00
Conduct follow-ups meetings 12 $ 3000.00
Volunteer travelling $ 4000.00
Business instate supports $ 6000.00
Youth & children campaign supports $ 4000.00
Total US $ 35.800.00
What are the potential challenges or obstacles? / Quels sont les défis ou les obstacles potentiels?
- Capacity of Scarp producers machine and locally available materials – It could be reduced feasible business plan and develop value chain for collection with other apartments
- Special lone for scarp production from government
- Community aware on GHG emission practices reduction agents marketing campaigns
- Sustainability of mission of Municipality circular with political agendas
- Provide subsidy for non economic viable GHG business
About the authors / À propos des auteur(e)s
I am Bandula Weerasinghe Sri Lankan nationality. I have more than 30 years experiences in Program Management in related community environment development, community development and business development in Sri Lanka.
I am completed my BSc, Social sciences and Business Administration. I have completed 5 Diplomas in related to community development, peace building & reconciliation, conflict sensitivity and small business development.
At present I have been working Sociologist in Ministry of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development in Sri Lanka. I am Board Director of the Kegalle District District Chamber of Commerce, Industry in Sri Lanka.