Rain water harvesting and use from roofs of urban apartment is one approach to solving the growing water scarcity in many world cities
Summary / Résumé
Induced by climate change, deforestation, increasing urbanization and urban population etc., water is increasingly becoming scarce in most cities of the world threatening sustainability of cities and survival of urban societies. It is known that water is one of the main natural resources which is/was the cause for flourishing and demises of cities. To this end, there are historical evidences showing that there were lots of cities in the world that have once been flourished but totally abandoned after sometimes due to lack of water. If the situation with water continue as it is now, it will be inevitable that same danger or even worse will happen to most cities of the world in future. Therefore, there is no time to find solution that will address this pressing problem.
One such simple but untapped solution to addressing the problem is to collect rain water from roofs of urban houses and apartments for uses by households for different purposes. Rain water harvesting and use is the simplest job that can be done by individual, groups and organizations which have houses, buildings and apartments. But it is little exploited in many cities especially in cities located in highlands that receive high amount of rainfall. Thus, it is mandatory to make urban societies part of the solution to use this opportunity. Thus, to achieve this goal the following key actions are proposed:
- Awareness creation and mobilization of urban societies for rain water harvesting and uses.
- Drafting and approval of national policy and laws that encourage and compel selected groups of urban societies (people living in common apartments) and organizations to collect and use rain water.
- Drafting and approval of regulations that impose inclusion of water harvesting plan in the design of buildings and apartments to be built in the future.
- Encouraging and incentive citizens for innovation for effect rain water harvesting, storage and use technologies. Details of the proposal are described herein.
What actions do you propose? / Quelles actions proposez-vous?
When I propose water harvesting from roof, storage and use is not a new idea. It is an age old practices which can be done by anyone irrespective of his/her education and training status. But what I am proposing new here is the ways and mechanisms for effective harvesting, storage and use of rain water in cities. I essentially propose awareness creation and mobilization of urban societies, organization, citizens etc. for rain water harvesting and use; and regulations and laws needed for implementation of activities rain water harvesting, storage and use. I also propose laws and proclamation that enforce buildings that will be constructed in the future shall include rain water harvesting, storage and use scheme in their designs. Finally, I propose mechanisms/platform for encouraging and inspiring fellow citizens to invent and create technologies of rain water harvesting, storage and use in cities which are cheap, simple, user friendly and efficient.
- To aware and mobilize urban societies to harvest, store and use rain water from roofs of residences buildings, apartments, houses etc
- To train urban societies on rain water harvesting, storage and use technologies
- To stimulate and encourage innovation and creativity fellow citizens for developing effective, simple and cheap rain water harvesting, storage and use techniques
- Awareness creation and mobilization of urban societies for rain water harvesting and uses
As water is a free gift of nature and is available free in most cities of the world, urban societies care little about responsible uses of water. Urban societies pay water only for costs incurred for supply and sanitation by municipalities. However, with unprecedented rise in urban population in the world coupled with depletion of water resources induced by climate change impacts, deforestation, soil erosion etc. water is increasingly becoming scare in the world threatening the sustainability of cities and the survival of urban societies. Thus, to overturn the growing challenge with water, there is integrated water resource development approaches which include afforestaion, mitigation and adaption to climate change, implementation soil and water conservation technologies, collection, storage and use of rain water so on.
Harvesting, storage and uses of rain water from roofs of residence buildings, offices apartments and condominiums has high potential for addressing water scarcities in many cities of the world. Even if there are some indications these days that some urban residents, hotels etc. have started harvesting, storing and using rain water, it is negligible given the potential with rain water to solve water shortage in cities. Insufficient awareness of urban societies on the potential of rain water for addressing water shortage as well as limited awareness of significant segments of urban population elsewhere on the existing water resources situation and its future trend in the world account for this failure. Thus, awareness creation to urban residents on the current situation with water and its future in the world, on the potential of rain water in addressing water shortage in cities, training them on techniques of rain water harvesting, storage and uses is the major step forward for mobilization of urban societies to harvest and use rain water in the future. Consequently, I propose the combination of different approaches and techniques which are indicated as below:
- Preparation of documentary film on various aspects of water resources and broadcasting to public
- Development of curriculum dealing on different aspects of water and its inclusion in curriculum of elementary schools
- Preparation of training module on different methods of rain water harvesting, storage and use to urban communities
2. Drafting and approval of national policy and laws that enforce selected groups of urban societies (people living in common apartments) and organizations to collect and use rain water.
3. Drafting and approval of regulations that impose inclusion of water harvesting plan in the design of buildings and apartments to be built in the future.
4. Encouraging and incentivize citizens for innovation for effect rain water harvesting, storage and use technologies.