ClimateCoop – The Climate Consortium Blockchain by climatecoop.com
Blockchain based collaboration & governance platform enabling dynamic community development & project formation for SDGs, e.g. ClimateAction
We are proposing the development of a blockchain based distributed platform that will allow decentralization and localization of climate or other SDG related ventures still keeping them compliant with regulations.
It is a fully transparent decentralization and partial delegation of power, governance, funding & execution of climate related projects to communities, within the directives & supervision set by the UN or other global NGOs.
The scope of the platform is to enable action and project execution corresponding to an idea. Specialists are approving the concept and parties (locally or globally) are committing to participate and collaborate in the implementation – the result is a consortium contract and execution of climate action – all this decentralized, organized over a blockchain.
The platform will:
- Allow Parties (Individuals, Researches, Sponsors; organizations like UN, NGOs, Governments; and SMEs or enterprises) to join the Platform and facilitate interactions and collaboration
- Allow Parties to propose ideas, new initiatives
- Allow the creator of an initiative to add details regarding the execution of the proposed Climate Action and provide an implementation plan
- Have accredited & trusted Parties review & approve initiatives and kick off the formation of a consortium for the next stage of project execution
- Allow the creation, self-organization of ad-hoc communities, which may be granted with certain governance authority overseeing particular Climate Action Projects in their context
We believe that this approach, taking the best of (1) distributed digital technology, (2) modern social patterns, (3) decentralized matrix governance and (4) today’s disruptive economical models (crowdsourcing, ICOs), is necessary to efficiently support the bottom-up movement of the Climate Action, empowering individuals and institution to autonomously cooperate and collaborate.
The blockchain infrastructure we will use will be energy efficient, having low operation costs by not using mining.
One of the main goals with the platform is to make contribution to SDG related projects globally acessible, super convenient and easy. We want to capture the mass population of eco conscious individuals who have no idea how they may help & contribute to the SDGs (apart from their own behavior and habits) even if they would want to. This contribution may come in a large variety of forms such as a part time effort & competence offered for a couple of hours per week or month or lending of equipment or monetary support, while the Platform will help with the coordination on how best to utilize this. We assume the collective capacity of such limited contribution could have significant impact once it´s properly organized via some medium, being the ClimateCoop Platform in our proposal.
Proposals from the current Competition:
See added value to this Proposal by the ClimateCoop platform discussed within the "Evaluation Tab", "Comments Section", "Question 1." comment.
See added value to this Proposal by the ClimateCoop platform discussed within the "Evaluation Tab", "Comments Section", "Question 1." comment.
What actions do you propose?
We propose to fully decentralize Climate Actions in respect to idea provisioning, project planning, partnership discovery, consortium forming and funding, however keeping a governance structure and reputation system to ensure quality project delivery and a smart, efficient & fully transparent way of spending funds.
This approach will speed up and streamline the entire ecosystem, allow for hyperlocal social responsibility, local organization & business engagement and most importantly community development. Having a vertical geo-local decentralization (UN, World Region, Country, Country Region, City, etc.), but also keeping a horizontal expert hierarchy (around the various topics and corresponding subtopics within Climate Change Action such as Plantation, Carbon Emission Lowering, Adaptation, Food Supply, etc.) will allow for synergy, collaboration and sharing experience between projects in distant locations.
The matrix governance approach (horizontal & vertical governance) will be freeing up a capacity burden at the UN, where focus could be shifted purely on global policy development & roll out on the Platform without the necessity to engage and discuss on lower levels. Aggregation of data and results will be fully supported by the Platform and provide a highly accurate and reliable insight with all the latest analytics & reporting capabilities to support decision-making processes.
The biggest value of the proposal is that the Platform allows collaboration, in which synergy and reusability will regularly take place.
There are direct Sustainable Development Goals that are addressed by our proposal:
- Goal 9 Industry Innovation and Infrastructure: as we would provide a highly efficient infrastructure to all parties to be involved in the Climate Action
- Goal 17 Partnership for the goal: Revitalize the partnership formation for sustainable development by providing a Platform acting as catalyst for partnerships and interaction both locally and globally.
- Goal 13 Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts, focus on the realization of projects, make ideas happen. The platform shall increase the number of projects and engagement from Parties.
- Goal 11 Sustainable cities and communities: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable; the local community is a major participant on the global distributed collaboration infrastructure. The community is the local hub, where ideas take place and social development is needed. The project ideas are first promoted locally and the community is taking advantage of the outcome of the project.
Additional value added features that will be part of the platform:
- create global & full transparency on the pro climate projects
- allow individuals and organizations to have better accessibility into projects and let them find projects they may best fit with their competence & resources they would want to contribute with
- help projects to organize themselves locally via consortiums in a much more efficient way
- allow projects around the globe to collaborate and share ideas, experience and competence, provide blueprints for successful projects for easy replication
- contributions would have full transparency and provide possibility for non-anonym participation
- enable building community around climate change, empower individuals and small businesses to contribute
How the Platform would work in its first iteration is desribed in the below process with the explaining figures.
- Idea Phase: An idea gets published in the Platform and becomes fully visible and explorable
- Execution Plan Phase: The initiator of the idea, maybe together with other Parties, is creating a basic implementation plan (work breakdown structure) associated with the proposal. Each action on the execution plan has an associated budget and the necessary work defined.
- Approval Phase: NGOs and/or other institutions (like UN) are checking the idea and the associated plan, endorsing it or disapproving it. Ideas not getting endorsement are not going further this point. Nevertheless they will be kept in the System for future reference.
- Consortium Formation Phase: The idea proposal, together with the realization plan after getting the previous endorsement will be visible on the Platform (Blockchain) and every Party who signed up to the Platform, can commit for either:
- fully or partially funding a certain action
- carry out the work (here we may have tendering for the best possible commercial and technical conditions)
- complete ownership of funding and executing the action
- Consortium Contract Phase: formalize the consortium being committed to execute the project.
Why Blockchain is fitting as the backbone of the Platform?
To facilitate such a Platform we need a:
- globally accessible
- trustless (no need for parties to trust each other)
- fully secure (intemperable, incorruptible, non-hackable)
- highly scalable
- consistent & accurate
business technology, which are just the kind of characteristics Blockchain would eventually provide us.
On the Blockchain all information is trustfully distributed to all the participants in the network, there is no single owner of the data. The process logic, which implements the workflow of forming the consortium and all possible interaction between participants, is also part of the Blockchain. All parties are accepting the same logic and all parties are committing themselves to engage by following the same rules – this process logic is written in the Blockchain, in form of “smart contracts”.
The Blockchain technology is built as a distributed infrastructure, where local Blockchain instances (nodes) are interconnected, forming a global network. All nodes are containing the same data and are following the same rules. The data is transparent to all parties; all records are not changeable and cannot be manipulated as there is no owner of the data – all information is public, transparent and immutable.
The workflow of the consortium creation is executed in the same way and in the same time on all nodes, enforcing a real data democracy via consensus between the participants.
Our proposal has been mainly inspired by the article written by Prof. Dr. Dirk Messner: “A social contract for low carbon and sustainable development: Reflections on non-linear dynamics of social realignments and technological innovations in transformation processes”. Quoting: “The contract is based firstly upon a culture of mindfulness of the earth system and the sub-components thereof that are central to people (out of ecological responsibility, out of stewardship to the earth system, “ecological citizenship”) (Dobson and Bell, 2005); secondly, on a culture of local and global stakeholding (out of democratic responsibility) (Leach et al., 2005; Koa, 2007; Scholte, 2007) […]”
“The concept of the social contract symbolizes that the transformation to sustainability implies a fundamental realignment of societies, which requires the legitimation of their citizens. It will also require fundamental shifts and realignments in global institutions, global governance processes, and global civil society networks as a social contract for sustainability in a highly interdependent world which needed to be anchored on local and global levels (Berkhout et al., 2003; Biermann, 2007; WBGU, 2014).“
We propose a pure digital solution sustaining a highly complex development, where the model of changing society, networking on local & global scale and the interdependency of individuals & communities is playing a major role in the future of climate protection actions, empowering the society and encouraging individuals to add value and collaborate.
The technical aspect we’ve just covered in more depth is definitely an important one, acting as true enabler, but only the technological perspective will not be able to put an answer to all open questions, which will arise in the journey. Through the digitalization process, a lot of possibilities will open up and ideas will find a solid ground for implementation, up to the point where a pragmatic approach will emerge.
We emphasize how significantly important is the need for collaboration with institutions and organizations (like UN), professionals and experienced individuals in order to fine tune our approach and adapt it to the real need existing now and dynamically evolving for the “future unknown”. We are looking for and truly appreciate any input, review and constructive criticism and are willing to collaborate in any way possible in order to make our proposal best fit to the Climate Action cause.
The Platform in its currently described scope would be the first iteration towards a more advanced & complete Climate Action vision, which would include the following additional capabilities:
- Have a significant focus on the Ratings, Reviews and Content shared by Projects to allow credibility and trust to be built within the Platform among Communities and Parties;
- Have a much stronger focus on Social Network Integration (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and aim to reach out to the younger generations (Generation Y & Z) and make contribution and recognition by the Climate Action trendy & highly respectable among this group;
- Allow for new funding models and revenue streams whenever Cryptocurrencies and Tokenization of Value becomes sufficiently regulated and accepted by Governments, Regulators and the Society; We believe the Climate Action ecosystem would be a perfect candidate to be tokenized via the Platform providing further transparency, control and policy enforcement for money flow via Tokens. It would also allow an easy way of contributing to the Climate Action initiative allowing selected Cryptocurrency donations via a dedicated and limited exchange operated by the UN itself;
- With tokenization of the Climate Action ecosystem we may implement strong incentives to further motivate eco-friendly behavior and social responsibility within the society, reward Organizations, Communities and Businesses for their contribution;
- Further decentralization of the Platform would be suggested towards a completely decentralized and self-sustaining solution via introducing voting, treasury, reputation and other Blockchain 3.0 capabilities. Initially we do not suggest such an option as it introduces significant governance complexity, requires already a good maturity level and an active experienced community with the Platform. We also believe in the beginning the system requires certain guidance & global strategy (via global policy creation) from the UN simply for efficiency, synergy and compliance reasons and it can't be left fully autonomous.
- Interoperability with other Value Networks (other Blockchains) and Value Added Services would elevate the Solution to a new level and increase the automation & reach of scope. For the moment Blockchain technology is not mature enough and there are only a few Blockchain based Value Networks already operational that might be interesting to integrate with, nevertheless once the Blockchain Ecosystem grows over the next decade there will be tremendous opportunities to expand the ClimateCoop solution.
- Autonomous, self-owned, self-sustaining assets and machines might be considered to be integrated with our Platform, that would support with their specialized capabilities & characteristics the Global Climate Action goals. This combination of AI, iOT, M2M, Robotics and Blockchain has great potential and requires further exploration for ClimateCoop.
As a summary our Blockchain Platform is aimed towards providing a global distributed network, which would enable value, competence, contribution to be discovered in any semantic context and flow freely towards developping & forming partnerships, consortiums and projects; then after execution having recognition, reputation and reward balancing out the system.
Who will take these actions and which types of actors are involved?
Potentially any individual, organization or institution can participate in the collaboration process or providing resources to the Platform development. There is no point of limiting or restricting help and support at this stage of the initiative of building such a Platform.
Actually one of our primary goals with the Platform is to make contribution to SDG related projects globally acessible, super convenient and easy. We want to capture the mass population of eco conscious individuals who have no idea how they may help & contribute to the SDGs even if they would want to.
The following Governance functions will have to be initially setup, before kicking off a Pilot run:
- Program Board: Appointed leaders, stakeholders from global NGOs.
- Program Management Team: appointed program manager would lead the Initiative with the support of the authors of the proposal
- Advisory Board: recognized industry leaders and senior professionals (here we would also look for delegates willing to contribute from MIT Alumni Network), key representatives from active NGOs, members of the European Climate Change Program (from the European Commission).
- Candidate Project for Climate Action: one designated initiative from the Climate Action portfolio would be selected to help us work together and let them be the first project rolled out on the new Platform
Further Parties have been identified, who would be needed to support the development of the Platform, however at this stage it´s too early to define a Program structure in more depth.
Where will these actions be taken and how could they scale?
Actions will start locally and scale globally. We are proposing a global platform & ecosystem for the Climate Action.
The Blockchain Platform has a promising potential of having a global impact on society, NGOs, Businesses and the UN itself allowing for a fundamentally different and much easier, open and transparent way of collaboration, governance and funds management.
Nevertheless roll out of the Platform and the adoption will be done country-by-country looking for local partnerships, businesses, NGOs, and government support to raise the awareness and create then necessary buzz around the roll out.
Initially the Platform would be rolled out throughout Germany. Some potential local partners are already identified and requested to join.
The development of the Platform will be done in Europe (maybe in the cryptovalley in Zug, Switzerland) and Logistics & Project Management would happen from Frankfurt, Germany.
We do hope that the advisory board would scale on the Global level and we could utilize valuable experience & competence from various regions around the World.
As soon as the development will be finished, the operation of the platform will be managed globally via the distributed infrastructure. Any community, organization, Party having basic computer infrastructure and internet connectivity, would be able to participate and contribute to the distributed Blockchain network. It would be an effortless, voluntary access and use of the Platform providing superior value and without requiring any sacrifices or loose of identity & authority.
Please note it would not be necessary at all for any Organization to phase out any of their existing IT infrastructure or Software Applications. They could simply use the WebClient of the Platform or even integrate their existing legacy Applications with the common, standard process defined within the Platform.
We intend to host the first pilot blockchain network nodes from Frankfurt am Main, Germany and execute the first ideas and consortium development locally in Rhein-Main area.
Another remarkable advantage we would like to emphasize at this point is the opportunity of moving together all the scattered, disjoint and independent organizations around the world working on the Climate Change topic. The cohesion effect would boost synchronization, unity and knowledge sharing via the Platform.
The scalability depends also on the Use Cases to be implemented on top of the Platform. Further examples of Use Cases possible to implement on top of ClimateCoop:
- Top-Down flow Example: Allow to delegate & manage global targets for sustainable measures (such as CO2 emissions, plantation / forestation, clean energy ratio, electric vehicle ratio, waste production ratio, etc.) in a multi-level directed acyclic graph (DAG) like governance hierarchy;
- Bottom-Up flow Example: automatically and transparently aggregate & process trusted data from the bottom of the DAG hierarchy to generate trusted & accurate global metrics within a dashboard
In addition, specify the countries where these actions will be taken.
No country selected
No country selected
No country selected
No country selected
What impact will these actions have on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
The implementation of our proposal does not have a direct impact in reducing the greenhouse gas emissions. However the Platform facilitates more sophisticated and cost efficient execution of projects, which are potentially having a significant direct impact.
We foresee the following changes the Platform will catalize:
- Increase in aid, commitment and support for the Climate Action initiative allowing for more projects to be executed.
- Increasing awareness and Social Engagement within Communities driving a more eco conscious, green behavior within the society, Boosting local self-organizing Climate Action initiatives
- Allowing for better transparency & efficiency into funding and execution of Projects.
An important note on regard to energy consumption of the Platform: we plan using Blockchain technology which relies on modern consensus algorithms, which do not result in the inefficiencies & extreme costs of running the infrastructure of today´s digital cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin.
What are the most innovative aspects and main strengths of this approach?
The Blockchain today is revolutionizing every single industry by enabling new disruptive business models to run within a decentralized, highly efficient, scalable and “trustless” ecosystem. We do believe this innovation is inevitable for the future and the disruptive transformation will take place and reach the UN. Please note that without utilizing the outstanding capabilities & qualities of Blockchain tecnhology it would not be possible to build the Platform with any alternative technology to fit all Use Cases.
Our Use Cases enabled by the Platform are innovative themselves allowing for a new way of working together of the Parties in a dynamic context.
We also think the policy driven matrix governance model suggested and to be implemented on top of the Platform will provide a unique way of managing funds & projects within the Climate Action ecosystem.
Building this Platform would be completely reusable for other Sustainable Development Goals allow for exceptional synergy among them.
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
Being experts within the Blockchain field, and having already delivered complex Blokchain projects allows us to confidently estimate the costs of the technical implementation of a Pilot version of the Platform within the budget of 270.000 EUR + VAT. This also includes the operation of the Platform on infrastructure nodes hosted in the Rhein Main Area, Germany for the first year.
Note that we have a decentralized Platform and only the very first nodes will be operated from Germany for the period of the Pilot. Later the network will grow, expand and become a true world-wide decentralized Blockchain infrastructure.
The estimation is based on several OPEX & CAPEX cost items, which we may share and detail upon request from Climate CoLab.
Note that further cost factors identified such as travel expenses, advisory board fees, possible office infrastructure costs, legal costs, etc., howwever these are not considered at this point as they are subject to case-by-case agreement and alignment with the Climate CoLab.
Regarding the timeline, the Platform Pilot development duration is expected to last between 6-9 months following a more specific requirements gathering & specification process.
Please note that Costs & Timeline might be influenced by the underlying Blockchain platform selected for the ClimateCoop implementation. We definitely recommend to choose a public Blockchain 3.0 Platform (see paragraph "Potential Blockchain 3.0 Platforms" within References section) that will be able to support by nature the regulation & compliance requirements, which will be systematically enforced in the crypto space over the next few years. Performance & scalability are other key criterias, which would have to be taken into account during the platform vendor selection process.
The following risks & challenges were identified and would have to be mitigated & managed accordingly:
- buy-in for the value proposition & vision within the UN, getting established senior stakeholders on board who are interested / responsible for the Climate Change work group
- knowledge management, evangelism & marketing regarding Blockchain & the ClimateCoop vision within the UN
- maturity & readiness of the Blockchain 3.0 Platform selected to host the ClimateCoop solution
- having the right composition & balance of competences within the Advisory Board
- complexity & governance of the ClimateCoop implementation project
- acceptance & roll out of the ClimateCoop solution in general
- finding the right partners, vendors & support with sufficient committment and engagement towards the Project
- organizing timely & sufficient funding for the further steps within the roadmap of the ClimateCoop vision
- a possible burst of the crypto market bubble might degrade faith within and reputation for Blockchain solutions, influence the speed Platform Vendors are able to deliver on their roadmap, which directly would impact the timelines & acceptance of the ClimateCoop project: nevertheless this would only be a temporary, interim turbulence
About the Authors
We are experts in the field of distributed technologies (especially Blockchain) and live as ecology conscious individuals, who believe in unity, commitment & extreme measures to be applied worldwide with immediate aciton for the sake of sustainable future of our planet. We trust we can provide an innovative solution via the proposed Platform that makes the whole Ecosystem of Climate Action much better streamlined, lean and cost efficient, while raises awareness, expand the scope of contribution and increase the level of recognition and engagement.
Sorin has over 17 years’ experience in working with public authorities, finance and logistic industry, his main focus being improvement of business process through digitalization. He has a proven record of using blockchain technologies and delivering results in challenging environments. In his spare time, Sorin is an enthusiast mountaineer. He holds an MS and BS in Computer Science; he grew up in Romania and lives in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
Bertalan has 13 years experience working as a senior consultant in the private sector around Europe including leading enterprises within the Utility, Finance and Telecom industry. He has a strong footprint of identifying, envisioning, designing, integrating, selling and managing the delivery of state of the art business technology solutions built upon the latest emerging & disruptive technologies.
Today he lives in Frankfurt, Germany, however he is originated from Hungary. He is a soccer fan since childhood, playing, watching and kicking the ball.
Please note we are participating in the competition & submitting our proposal as private individuals. The "climatecoop.com" domain has been acquired by us to protect the suggested brand name of the Platform and would be immediately transferred to the Climate CoLab or any appointed body of the UN whenever requested in case the project is selected for subsequent qualification rounds or possible execution.
Drivers for the ClimateCoop Solution:
Keywords: Deutschland modernisieren, Modernisierungsbündnis, Forschungsbündnis, wichtiger Treiber ist Digitalisierung
Quote: "How can we avoid dangerous impacts: [...]
- Keyfact 8. The world needs to act faster. As a simple rule of thumb, if nations and non-state actors (businesses, cities, etc) set goals to halve their emissions every decade, the world would have a stronger chance of achieving the Paris Agreement
- Keyfact 9. Analyses suggest that it is possible for the world to meet Paris Agreement targets if nation states Cooperate and coordinate mitigation efforts."
Quote: "2020–2030: Herculean Efforts
Economies must implement the no-brainer mitigation measures plus the first wave of smart and disruptive action.
Public and private investment in research and development (R&D) for climate solutions should increase by an order of magnitude between now and 2030.
In global governance, climate stabilization must be placed on par with economic development, human rights, democracy, and peace. The design and implementation of the carbon roadmap should therefore take center stage at the UN Security Council, as these quintessential objectives increasingly interact, influencing the stability and resilience of societies and the Earth system."
A social contract for low carbon and sustainable development: Reflections on non-linear dynamics of social realignments and technological innovations in transformation processes
Warum es wichtig ist, schnell Maßnahmen zum Klimaschutz zu treffen
Difference between Blockchain and Bitcoin – Blockchain is not Bitcoin, Bitcoin just uses Blockchain technology.
Potential Blockchain 3.0 Platforms:
Note some of these Platforms have not yet reached the Blockchain 3.0 qualities & capabilities, however they may evolve to that maturity level in 2018/2019.
What enabling environment would be required in order to implement this proposal?
The ClimateCoop platform realization on one side is a quite ordinary, though complex IT project on the other side it's an extraordinary domain transformation program.
We may split the requirements for the enabling environment accordingly into these two aspects.
For the IT project to successfully deliver the Platform we need:
- solid funding for all the stages & scaling
- good technical support from the Blockchain vendor
- fair political climate
- serious engagement & sponsorship from all project parties
- realistic expectations
- highly competent stakeholders, steering commitee and advisory board
For the domain transformation to work out we need from all the future participants & influencers of the Platform, including Governments, NGOs, UN, selected Corporations, certain media outlets:
- Openness to listen & discuss about ClimateCoop
- Persistence to understand in depth the value proposition & underlying concepts
- Determination for change & improvement of the domain
- Willingness to pioneer, be proactive & invest into the venture
- Patience for platform growth & value realization
- Tolerance for difficulties & challenges that may come on the way
- Enthusiasm to evangelize & promote ClimateCoop
The domain transformation does not need to happen at once, it's an iterative, gradual approach having the ClimateCoop platform rolled out country by country, region by region, little bit how Social Networks organically grow. This focus will allow us to culturally adapt to the local environment, build relationships locally, research the volunteering local counterparts & partners who may support the adoption, customize marketing & communication in line with the local preferences and finally localize the ClimateCoop platform (language, governance policies, etc.).
This is not little to ask & expect from the enabling environment, however considering the tremendous value potential of the ClimateCoop platform in the context of the slow & hard progress of SDGs where we stand today, we think ClimateCoop would trigger enough motivation, more a global movement to establish a better & more efficient way how we all collaborate together for a sustainable future of Earth.
Another requirement is that SDGs will keep at least their current level of importance and support and we will not see a shift to the worse in global policy making in this respect.
We would expect the UN or another global NGO to define "super-level" policies & governance and show direction, define high level targets & goals. We believe the UN is a good, authentic, credible, trusted & prepared organization to do this. The rest of the network would aim for compliance with these policies, however have fully self-governed autonomous functioning without unnecessary interference.
We believe initially every Large Scale, Complex, MultiParty System requires some sort of regulation, but it should be a healhy & limited one not to suffocate innovation, discourage interest or degrade efficiency.